The Australian Sailing Team took home four medals from six events contested at the first Rio de Janeiro Olympic Test Event Aquece Rio – International Regatta 2014 and finished the week-long regatta as the best performed nation. Mat Belcher & Will Ryan won Gold in the Men’s 470 and Tom Burton in the Laser. Nathan Outteridge & Iain Jensen won Silver in the 49er Class and Darren Bundock & Nina Curtis in the Nacra 17. Olivia Price & Eliza Solly came 4th in the 49er FX. Hear from our Team about their regatta and their learnings about Rio, Brazil and Guanabara Bay – the 2016 Olympic & Paralympic Sailing Venue. Go Aussies – Well done all!
Congratulations to Conor Nicholas in his recent campaign at the Laser radial Youth World Championship in Dzwinow, Poland. After an exhausting three weeks, he has had a great result. Conor placed 9th in the world in a fleet of 156 boats from over 40 nations.
On Saturday 21 February commencing at 9am Somers Yacht Club in conjunction with the Victorian Laser Association is conducting a Laser Activate Day which is open to all Laser sailors.
The Laser Activate program has the following objectives:
- To provide active Laser sailors with professional Laser specific
- To encourage Laser owners with idle boats to get back on the water with coaching in the morning and the option of participating in the club race in the afternoon.
- The coaching focus is on boat set up, and the development of boat handling and racing
- To create an atmosphere where sailors rekindle their love of sailing and racing with no pressure on performance.
- Meet Laser sailors with similar goals and objectives, and build the Laser community.
Ben Gunther will coach the group in the morning, and will be on the race course in the afternoon and provide a post-race debrief.
In addition to the coaching, Laser Association representatives will be at Somers and will value idle boats that owners may wish to sell, as there is a strong second hand market for Lasers.
PSA have generously offered to support this event and have provided us with a Laser parts listing. Any parts ordered on the day will be sold at 20% discount. Note this opportunity to upgrade your boat fittings at a discount is applicable to this day only.
Somers Yacht Club has generously agreed to underwrite the Activate Day, so the cost for the day is $30.00 per participant. Bookings are essential through Trybooking http://www.trybooking.com/119518
We look forward to seeing you on the water for a great day of coaching and sailing.